Pages

Monday, January 28, 2008

Awesome Chewy Granola Bars

I don't know about you guys, but I'm always looking for recipes for healthy, yummy snacks that I can make myself instead of buying in the store...and knowing exactly what's in them. I tried this granola bar recipe and it's awesome! It's also one of the ones with the least amount of butter and sugar (that tastes good anyway!). Here's the recipe:

4 1/4 c. rolled oats
1/4 c. ground flax seed (if you don't want to use flax just add an extra 1/4 c. of oats)
1 c. all-purpose flour (next time I might try using 1/2 whole wheat)
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 c. butter, melted (I used a touch more)
1/2 c. honey
chocolate chips and whatever add-ins you want (dried cranberries, almonds, seeds....)

Preheat oven to 325. Lightly grease a 9x13" pan.
In large bowl combine dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients. Stir in choc chips and other add-ins. Mix well. Press mixture into the pan, as tight as you can, with a fork or your hands. Bake for 18-22 minutes or till golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes and then cut them into bars. Let bars cool completely before removing from the pan.

Enjoy~

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! I'll have to try this later. I'm guilty of loving to cook and bake, but choosing the unhealthy things too often.

    ReplyDelete