Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2009

tired and confused

Our boy just keeps us guessing all the time. Just when we think we've got him figured out, he changes :) At 11 weeks, Jaxon started sleeping 12 hours at night...from 8pm - 8am , with no interruptions in between. Then, before Christmas he got a cold and that was the end of wake-less nights. It seems that between colds, teething, and growth spurts, there's always an excuse for me to feed him in the middle of the night even though he's definitely old enough now that he doesn't need extra calories at night. I admit, I can't help but melt when I pick him up out of his crib to calm him at 2am and he wraps his arms around my neck and latches onto my cheek.

Two weeks ago I went to bed one night totally prepared to do the 5-10-15 thing that night in effort to try and get him out of his nighttime waking/feeding habit. I was dreading it all day but Dan and I agreed on a plan and we were prepared for a tough night. He must have heard us talking that day because he slept till 5am that morning! Since he went 10 hours, I fed him and put him back to bed and he slept till 8:30! It felt like heaven. It's so great to wake up before your baby.

He continued this wonderful pattern for a week and I thought that was his new little routine. He lasted 6 nights and then he somehow fell back into his old routine. I think he might be going through his 6 month growth spurt right now so I'm going to give him a few days, and then attempt the 5-10-15 thing again. Lets hope it works! :)

4 comments:

  1. Hey Laura....your right kids do have minds of there own. Dont worry he will figure out a routine and stick with it. Seth was alot like that too. Somedays still he will wake up in the middle of the night. Keep doign what you are doing and try to nap when he does(I know that is hard considering you probably have other things to do lol)Dont get yourself burnt out!!
    Love you guys
    Kel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a lot like Emily...although she's never yet done a 12 hour night! Eventually a routine will stick though...with Tate it took until he was 1 year old to start having a really regular sleeping pattern at night (aka...sleep through the night all the time! haha)...and I think Emily might be the same...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:05 PM

    I could count on one hand how many times Korban has slept through the night... and he's 10mths old, and he's never done 12hrs. You're lucky! =P Korban put himself in a pretty steady schedule, even though it still consisted of a nightly feeding. We went on a 2-wk trip and that threw him off. So these last few nights we've been working on getting him to go to sleep in his crib again, and he's starting to almost do the night! YAY! Although I must say that him waking up at 4:30am-5am for a feeding makes it hard for me to go back to sleep. In that way I prefered the 2am feedings. I can definitely go back to sleep then! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the 5-10-15 thing? I'm interested in hearing new things to try with Jaden too. He was a GREAT sleeper until we travelled this summer and it's never been the same since. I also need to cut out the night feedings, because I know he doesn't really need it, it's just a comfort thing.

    ReplyDelete